Saturday, June 10, 2006

Save on Car Insurance

If the premium of your car insurance jumped, you may want to call your insurance representative and ask why it seems so high. You may also ask what is recommended that could be done to reduce it. The first suggestion may be to increase the deductible. If you have not changed your deductibles for 10 or 20 years you may want to look into it.

I am not an attorney, but I know there have been changes to bankruptcy law. You may want to ask an attorney for advice on this issue. You may need only the state minimum amount of coverage instead of the maximum amount of coverage under certain conditions. I would talk with my insurance sales rep who is licensed and get some information. My policy is to obtain the maximum amount of coverage that I can afford. My point is that if you do not have or expect many assets, you should check with an attorney and find out how much coverage you really need.

When I am out to buy a new or newer car, I will call my insurance agent to find out how much the new insurance will cost me. If it ballpark to what I am paying now, I usually feel pretty good about it. If it is much more, I'll ask why that is so and how could I save on the premium? Many of the rates are determined by make and model of the vehicle. Some cars just get into more than their share of accidents. Some get into more severe types of accidents. Many also are stolen more frequently. It all is factored into the rates. Sometimes a different model of the car has cheaper premiums, such as the V-8 versus the hemi version or the plainer version vesus the hot rod version. Your agent can suggest similar cars with rates that are much cheaper than others.

Car insurance is expensive. Why pay for coverage you may not need? Maybe you can increase a deductible or two. You should check to make sure any future cars you may buy have inexpensive premium rates. You may be able to save thousands of dollars over the years if you talk to your insurance agent and attorney. Maybe you could save enough to pay for a new car someday with the savings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home